As I look back on some older posts, I realized that I used to bore all of you with lists. I did a list every Friday and then some other random ones during the week. Either I was lazy, felt like plagiarizing (I think this is the same as being lazy), or I just didn’t know what to write. In short, it has been way too long since I last bored you with a list so today is that day I bore you once again. I know that I used to make lists every Fridays like some kind of segments, but let’s be real. Segments are for the ambitious. While I find myself being more and more go-getting, let’s not get crazy. I don’t want to set myself up with something that I may or may not do. Friday lists be gone and welcome to “I can really do whatever I want when I want because it’s my blog and I am probably one of the only people who read what I write” frame of mind. So today’s list is brought to you by the optimistic mood I have been in and by the moments in the past couple of weeks that have made me smile. I hope most of you will relate to this and smile yourself.
Life’s Little Pleasures in Em’s Terms
1. The scrumptious residue left on your fingers after eating Doritos or Cheetos products. Or anything with the substance of powder cheese.
2. Completing a form on the internet without missing a required field, on the first attempt. Okay. I will be honest, this didn’t happen, but it did cross my mind how great it would be!
3. The smell of rain. Which oddly I was able to enjoy a couple days ago. The smell of rain in January. Who would have thought.
4. Months with three paydays. Those who get paid bi-weekly know what I’m talking about, three checks in a month is always splendid.
5. Lying in bed with freshly-washed sheets. My mom taught me a trick known as freeze drying. Yes, this crazy lady I call my mother washes sheets and hangs them outside on the clothesline to dry. In the middle of winter. In -30 degree weather. I guess that the sheets freeze dry and then they smell that much better for longer. I have yet to try this out, but it will happen. Not if only I had a clothesline….
6. Getting cutoff by an overanxious driver, then pulling up right next to them moments later at a red light. Yes. This does bring me joy. It does to all of you also, so don’t judge.
7. Having the exact change to pay for something. Having Cash on hand for me is one thing, exact change just feels great!
8. Sticking that leg out from underneath the blanket and feeling just right.
9. Happy hour at bars and restaurants. Save money and drink. Who can go wrong?
10. Movie previews full of trailers you’ve never seen.
11. Removing all of the shell off of a boiled egg in one try. This is a task that is hard to accomplish. When it happens, take a picture. It will be a great feat!
12. This video of kitty.
13. The moment the credits hit when someone forced you to watch a boring movie for the past hour and a half.
14. Dancing in the car and reciting entire songs, making noises to recreate instrument solos.
15. That first intense body stretch after waking up.
16. Funnel cakes and root beer floats.
17. Correctly choosing the quickest check-out line at the grocery store, or the fastest moving lane on the road. We all do the line merge. It is so gratifying knowing you picked the correct line.
18. Getting wrapped snugly in blankets when it’s freezing cold.
19. Spontaneous adventures. Plans are good; spur of the moment is better.
20. Waking up, checking the clock and seeing that you have plenty of sleep time left.
21. Laughing at something so hard that you cry. Or, laughing so hard that no noise comes out. If one of these two things happens, you’re having a ball.
22. Driving over little hills in the car and getting the mini roller coaster feeling.
23. Having someone exiting the bathroom directly in front of you, so you don’t have to touch the unsanitary door handle.
24. Clocking out of work when you’re off for the weekend.
25. When plans you didn’t want to attend get canceled. Seriously. This is a great feeling.
26. Finding money you didn’t know you had in your pocket. Okay, so this only happens to other people because I spend all of my money. Especially Cash. But I did find some in Cory’s pants and took it. That was a surprise.
27. The anticipation and hype on days before a big vacation or trip somewhere. (No I just have to plan a trip……)
28. Using a new Chap Stick for the first time.
29. Night time drives. (Only if someone else is driving. Otherwise it’s down right scary because I don’t have very good night vision. Like at all.)
30. Catching a song you enjoy on the radio, right as it starts.(This one is for you Cory)
31. Finally lying in bed after an exhausting day.
32. Waking up, feeling extremely thirsty, and having water nearby to quench it.
33. Getting home so late that the sun is coming up. Okay, so this didn’t happen either, but I really want it to and I think it will happen in the near future. Hopefully.
34. Landing the gas pump on the precise amount you wanted. Not 10 cents over, but directly on it. We all try to do this. It’s like a game that makes the price of gas just a little bit more bearable.
35. The additional French-fries at the bottom of the bag.
36. The other side of the pillow.
37. The relief of taking your shoes and socks off, after a long day of wearing them. (This I can relate to.)
38. Opening presents. The gift doesn’t necessarily have to be amazing if you’ve wrapped it, being that tearing off the paper in anticipation is 75% of the pleasure.
39. The bond shared by two people over a mutual disdain for another individual. (Again, don’t judge.)
40. The smell of gasoline (Or am I the only weird one that likes this smell?)
41. The various bottles of booze and beer left in your refrigerator after hosting a party.
42. Making a witty comment that draws a lot of laughs and even surprises you.
43. Asking a question on Google and seeing it finish your words, meaning there are others out there wondering the same thing as you.
44. Late night/early morning conversations with good friends
There you have it. The small things in life that really do make each day worthwhile. I hope you all can come up with a list of your own and really think about how great it is to be able to wake up each day and live your life.
Oh, and here is another cat video. You’re welcome.