Good Friday Morning.
Again, I find myself apologizing for the lack of posts on here. With all the things going on, I have found it hard to take time out of my day to do anything not related to work, house, theater or responsibilities. Ahhh, the joys of growing up. In all honesty though, each of these things are a joy. Yes, work can be stressful. Yes selling and buying a house 150 miles away can be stressful. Yes, trying to clean up a vacant theater to get it up and running again can be stressful, but all of these are oh so fun! Wait a minute, pump the brakes…a theater?! I guess I have not enlightened you on this aspect of my life (my role is more one of support, but I am still very much involved). A couple weeks ago, my mother and father in law closed on their very own theater. It has been my mother-in-law’s dream to own her own theater, as well as my handsome husbands dream. It was just fate that they bought a
historic (vacant) theater in the same town that we are relocating to. This is the truth folks. About the same time that Cory and I were discussing if I should apply for the job in another town, his parents were discussing buying this theater they found for sale. Completely unrelated. Imagine the conversation we had when we told them we were relocating and they told us they bought a theater in the exact same town. Fate, my friends, can be a scary thing, but oh so exciting. My days consist of work then I make the short drive to the theater to clean one thing or another and on the weekends, we are still making the trip back to our first home to pack some things and move as much as we can. Confused yet? Life has been going in fast forward for us lately, but it is a thrilling ride. Luck seems to follow us and I hope it never runs out.
Let’s switch gears on that note and get down to this (unlucky?) Friday. As some of you noticed, it is Friday the 13th. The day that is looked at as unlucky. Ladders have gone unnoticed and people are walking the opposite way of cats (black or not). The superstitious are probably having a very bad day right about now and the not so superstitious are still avoiding the cracks in the sidewalk (just in case). It is today that I would like to recognize why this day is deemed as such because we all know it can’t revolve around one scary movie (or can it?) Today’s list (that is long overdue on a Friday) is Fun Facts about Friday the 13th.
Friday the 13th. A list not for the Superstitious.
· On Friday the 13th, 1979, a black cat crossed the path of Houston football player Tony Frisch and was accidentally kicked 67 yards for a world record.
· On Friday the 13th in 1962 a Colorado couple, while watching Channel 13 in the honeymoon suite of a Las Vegas motel, were crushed to death by a falling mirror.
· On Friday the 13th in 1957 a duck hunter, wearing a rabbit's foot around his neck while hunting near 12-Gauge, Texas, was kicked to death by a giant 3-legged jack rabbit. (yes, this is a true story)
· On Friday the 13th in 1966 a Detroit sociologist, who had just demonstrated his lack of fear by walking under 13 ladders and throwing a black cat through a mirror, was run over by a limousine driven by blind soul singer. (I think this is more of a lesson learned)
· Tupac Shakur was killed on Friday, September 13. (Or was he?)
· Several hotels and hospitals skip the 13th floor out of superstition.
· Author Mark Twain was once the 13th guest at a dinner party. Despite a friends warning not to go, saying, “It was bad luck,” he went anyway. Twain later said they only had enough food for 12.
· There were 13 people including Jesus at the Last Supper. The 13th person to arrive was Judas. Judas was the Apostle that went on to betray Jesus, and although it is subject to interpretation; many Christians believe that Jesus was Crucified on a Friday.
· Butch Cassidy, the notorious American train and bank robber was born on Friday, April 13th, 1866.
In honor of this day, I must end this with advice so luck still follows you after this days has passed.
· Never trust a rabbit that tries to sell you his foot.
· Never walk under a mirror or break a black cat.
· 4-leaf clovers are lucky today -- but not if you smoke them.
· The number "13" is very unlucky--especially if it's the only one you can get on the drugstore blood pressure machine.
· It is very unlucky today if a black crosses your path or gets flushed down your toilet.
· Walking under a ladder can be very unlucky today -- especially if it's at the drugstore the 16-year-old with zits is climbing down with a barbecue grill.
· Stepping on a cricket can very extremely unlucky today -- especially for the cricket.
· Wearing garlic around your neck today will ward off evil spirits. It will also ward off good spirits, indifferent spirits, and any other spirits with noses.
· A rabbit's foot is not lucky. If you don't believe me, ask the rabbit.
· Wearing a lucky penny between your toes means good luck and blisters.
· For good luck, hang a horseshoe over your front door. For really good luck, hang the entire horse over your front door.
· Horseshoes usually bring good luck today, but never trust a horse that wears high heels.
· If you think walking under a step-ladder is unlucky, try walking under your step-mother.
· A rabbit's foot can be lucky, unless the rabbit sets foot in your garden, in which case he'll probably eat your string beans.
There you are friends. Another insightful list for you to enjoy. This weekend for me involves spending a lovely evening with a lovely friends, sun bathing poolside, reconnecting with an old college friend, and partaking in the happiest 5K on the planet, the Color Run. This involves running while people throw as much color at you as they can. What more could a gal ask for. I am looking forward to another busy weekend filled with great times and luck. (Did I just jinx myself?) Until next time, show the black cats some love, climb a ladder, look into a broken mirror, because nothing can change how beautiful you are. I hope luck comes your way soon!
Happy Friday the 13th.